Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers






On Mothers Day, I stop to think for a moment about the Mothers in my life. Starting with my own Mom who has been an inspiration in ALL things. Strong in her beliefs, strong in her physical goals, strong in her leadership, strong in following what she knows to be right. One of the things I have observed about her is her ability to NOT think too much. If something needs done, she does it. If someone needs help, she helps them. If someplace is void, she fills it. My mom is an excellent example of a truly Christlike individual who offers love and compassion to all--no strings attached. Simply put, I want to be like her. Sadly, there are many women out there who, for whatever reason, can not have children. My mom leads the kind of life that they could follow--offering a motherly influence to all who they come in contact with.

Granted, there are times when I catch myself after having instinctively said something and thought "did my Mother's words just come out of my mouth?" So what if they did? It just means I am one step closer to my goal of growing into her shoes :) I have been blessed to have her all my life. She is my set of training wheels right now, keeping me up when I am unsteady--I do not look forward to the day when the Lord takes her back and leaves me to ride all on my own.

Dave's mom lives just around the corner and also plays a wonderful role in our lives here. I see clearly, where Dave gets his consistency, patience, generosity, and strength. She has endured a great deal of physical trials and continues to aim her focus on her family through service. Her talents hang on the walls of all of her kid's homes, where her heart also dwells. She waited a long time for grandchildren, and clearly loves to have them a part of her life. We are lucky to have her influence in our daily lives.

Of course, I also reflect on my experience as a mother. Motherhood has been all that I hoped it would be. I only wanted to be a mother, growing up, and still if there was only one thing I could do in life, it would be to be a mother. My children have changed my life. Each of them have brought out in me, qualities that I would not have had without the experience of living with and learning from them. Dania has a focus and drive like non other. She will go wherever she wants and will not take no for an answer. I hope I will be able to remember her righteous motivation to achieve all good things when she is grown and moved onto her own life somewhere. Tori-Laine has taught me valuable lessons in taking time to enjoy the simple and beautiful things. I am not one who normally sits and enjoys a good book, or soaks up the sun, or gets engaged in a great story--but she has brought that much-needed, softer aspect into my life. Benny of course has brought laughter and smiles and joy beyond measure. He reminds us everyday that "Sunday will come" no matter the trials we endure, the promises and blessings of the Lord will come in their own time. He is our family's Sunday.

Grandmothers and great-grandmothers have also helped shape and form my life, for which I will be eternally grateful. It all comes together and creates an amazing picture. I know that my Father in Heaven has a plan for families, and I know that the part we each play in the plan is a critical piece to the overall outcome. "I stand all amazed" and look forward to the day we are all together in the eternities sharing, loving, and continually offering the support we do each day, as mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment