Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The First Step Back

I started running again this week. I never should have taken that "recovery week" after the half marathon in March. One week lead to two, three, four, and five. Now here I am, running as though I never ran multiple half and even full marathons. Ouch. As I started again this morning, Day 2 of getting back to running, I thought how much my workouts are like my life in the gospel. There are big spiritual events in life that can often take a lot out of a person--tempting us to step back and "recover" for a while instead of keeping one foot going in front of the other. Before you know it, a "recovery period" can turn into a lack of drive and motivation to progress in a spiritual way.

Yesterday was the hardest. Those first steps back are always the hardest--whether running or scripture study. But today was better, and I expect tomorrow to follow suit. I suppose the moral to the story is, I ought to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Even if I just competed an exhausting event. Even if it's a slower pace. Even if it's shorter distance. Even if it snows. Every day I'll move forward some, and through time I will remain strong enough for the next day's workout and any upcoming event that may await.

No comments:

Post a Comment