Sunday, May 8, 2011

Living In the Moment

Mother's Day. Of course today I thought of my mother and the relationship I am blessed to have with her. She is my inspiration and my friend. She taught me to want to be a mother by example, and by this same example, she has taught me to enjoy motherhood, to love, to serve, to be lost in the lives of my children. I love my mom and am so proud to be her daughter.

I was reminded today as I became absorbed in the image of my own kids playing in the family room, the beauty and benefits of living "in the moment." To learn from, but let go of the past and to allow my experiences as they are, be beautiful and new. Benny enjoys almost everything. He sees his toys, his family, his friends untainted by hurt feelings or past grudges or wishes for what things might be in the future--better, shinier, nicer. He connects with them now.

Sometimes when he is upset, Tori looks into his eyes and sings about speckled frogs and mama ducks without a hint of boredom or monotony. Those frogs and ducks almost seem to appear on her arm as one by one they "go off to play." Benny is with her all the way and enveloped by the calming influence of the rhythm of the song and play interaction with his big sister. He follows her lead with the hand movements and forgets his concerns.

Dania sits down on the patio in back and brings out the colored sidewalk chalk and draws with him. He copies her as best as he can. She takes a pink, he takes a pink, she takes a green, he takes a green. They don't talk about what will happen if the chalk gets all used up or if there are better colors out there, or the time it the chalk got rained on and there was nothing left to color with... They just color and create.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the future, or past for that matter, and forget about the now. Are things wonderful this week? Today? This hour? This moment? Yes they are. I have people to serve and family to love and a home to keep. And right now, I'm glad for motherhood in general. For the chance to learn from my own kids as well as my mentor mother. Right now I will make and keep memories that I will recall at the right time, down the road. Right now I will go with life and see the beauty all around.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, so great! love your words of wisdom. We should hang out more often. :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennie, and I'm always game for hanging out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children are all getting older now and I wish I would have loved the individual moments a little more and worried about the unimportant stuff less. So I have to take that lesson and do it now. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, Valerie, I have one graduating next week, and one in 2 years. Good reminders to s.l.o.w. d.o.w.n.. when I can.

    ReplyDelete